Sunday, May 1, 2016

Dying Stylishly (A Shoutout)

A while back I posted some advice to someone on one of the 4chan OSR threads that crop up about starting to get traction for the game they wrote. Among other advice, I mentioned the usefulness of a blog and some minor insights I've gathered from developing 'Bastards. I've now come across the blog developed, and would heartily recommend checking it out.

Dying Stylishly is the dev blog of Emmy Allen, whose most recent project is the OSR-based Wolf-packs and the Winter Snow, a prehistoric Weird role-playing game that could be most easily described a a heavily modified LotFP wrapped around an ice-age setting. It's some very cool work and has a handful of tricks up its sleeve. Definitely worth taking a look into. If I can get the gaming time in, I may well do a review on it later. It's currently available as a Pay-What-You-Want option at DriveThruRPG, which includes absolutely free as an option so you have no excuse not to check it out. The blog itself is only a couple weeks old now, but has maintained a post per day so far. The content covers a whole mess of gaming topics, from LotFP to Vampire the Masquerade, but also hits on Wolf-Pack topics and updates. I look forward to seeing where she goes with it.

Go check it out and send some love from a scoundrel.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for pointing that one out. Sounds really interesting! I'll check it out ... damn, I want this to be good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admire anyone who actually completes a game. Gods know I've spent way too much time on mine. Amateur devs should stick together, help each other out - especially when they are putting out good and interesting work.

      Delete
    2. Your preaching to the choir here, I'm afraid. I know too well what it means to spent way too much time on developing without ever getting anywhere. I always think time is the one advantage we have compared to people actually trying to earn money with this stuff :) Anyway, I like the premise of this one. If it's any good, I'll write a review. Can't promise nothing, of course, but so far I really like it.

      Delete